Wednesday, August 20, 2014

{Places of Creativity}

I lead a busy life. Meaning that I rarely have a clean room. Yeah, I've read all of the pins on organization and easy cleaning "to-do's" but I'd rather spend my life, well, living.




Back to the cleaning thing. It DOES happen. It's just rare. First things first, my bed is always empty, ready for me to crawl in at any time of day. My night stand? It's usually cluttered with inconsequential items from my pockets and my purse and whatnot. and my chair in the corner? My beautiful navy chair that was really an answer to prayer, the chair that over looks my gorgeous bookcase (also an answer to prayer) and the very same chair that over looks my beautiful dresser that I found as a dump, and reclaimed as my own (in a lovely blue, I might add). That chair is often covered in clothes and weekend bags and my backpack and my computer case and often my computer that sits on top.

It's sad really. My chair is my quiet place of creativity. Where my thoughts form their own life, in blogging, in my journal, in my prayers, it's my place. My place of joy where writing is easy and life is simple.

My chair often gets covered up beneath the madness of the life I live. Sometimes, that's okay with me. But as I was cleaning it off tonight, I un-covered it's beauty in a new light. So frequently we get really busy, we throw clothes, trash, clutter, bags, so on and so forth, and it lands where it may. However, too frequently, all of these things end up right in the place that hold us up the most. Right into our places of creativity and peace and simplicity. Stifling the words that your mind is trying to breathe life into, silencing our peace and taking away our simple joys in life.

Today is a new day. As I write this, 12:01am rolled around. It's literally a new day. Take 20 minutes (or longer) to clean off your place. Both physically and mentally.  Yesterday doesn't have to dictate your happiness today, if you don't take ahold of your schedule, your schedule will take ahold of you. and that only results in stifled creativity and happiness. So grab a trash bag and a laundry basket and go to the place where it all fell... the clothes, the trash, the clutter, the forgotten to-do lists and the failures of yesterday, and un-cover your place. Your place of creativity, peace, simplicity and inspiration. Find your happy place once again and turn off the phone and the TV and the radio and the outside world and just let your mind work, let the words flow, and let God speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment