Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Can You be Pursuaded?

I'm on a kick pertaining to books right now - and possibly forever - so bear with me. 

I am a reader. I owe this portion of my life to my mom and my grade school teacher. I like to believe - and do - that my mom read as an escape from everyday life, whatever the reason, whatever the matter, she fell in love with Karen Kingsbury books, and encouraged me to do the very same. I now own 50+ of her books. 

and Ms. Kris Newman, my Teacher, Friend, Moscow Mom, personal proof-reader, my writing friend and everything in-between. She taught my school for one year. One year, and changed my life. Made me fall in love with worlds outside of my own. Encouraged me to see the beauty in written words and magical, mysterious places. 

The frequent misconception of books is that they're a world contained within two walls - whether paperback or hardcover - walls, none the less. But this is false. Books are created with the intention to be read, and to be released from the walls of their binding and spine into your imagination, and to take you on an adventure from there.

One of the beauties of books is this - If I read a book, no one else is going to see it the same way. You cannot read a book without expanding your imagination. Why? Because you are literally giving form and bringing to life, another world. If I say "They walked down their quiet, hometown, street together. Autumn leaves falling around them as they recall the memories of the past, reminiscing about the summers and winters and years gone by." You just created a street in your mind, completely different - I'm sure - than the one I pictured. You created a place within your mind of two people and the nostalgia of their past. Changing from autumn leaves falling, to summer and then to winter, and then back again. 

Am I too inspired by books? I don't believe that's possible, but maybe. Reading books, helps you to understand other people. By being able to step into another world, and step into the shoes of another person as they think and make decisions, and face unforeseen circumstances, is a magical thing that happens to you. You are expanding your mind to the thinking of someone else, and that my friend is why a reader, is NEVER narrow minded. Readers can see a situation objectively, completely unbiased. They can empathize with more people, and therefore, be able to relate to and help more people.

A lot of people may disagree with this one, and it's really just a personal opinion. But I think that readers made better friends. ;)

Reasons why books are better than e-books:
- You can read them in the sun. 
- They make your shelves look pretty. 
- You can get them signed. 
- They smell good. 
- You don't have to charge them to prevent electronic death. 
- You get the gratification of flipping through the pages.

Reasons why books are better than their movie:
- Because no one is telling you how to picture the story. You can use your own mind. I'm sure Hollywood just loves that.
- Movies are over in 2 hours, meanwhile books take hours, if not days to read. 
- Movies leave out too many details. 
- Movie trailers spoil the entire thing. Leaving nothing to the imagination. 
- Your imagination is limitless and there are limits to what can be represented in a movie.
- Books are cheaper than movies and provide longer entertainment. 

I may have gotten carried away, but some things need to be said. ;) 

If you can't stand your life, read a book, then change it. Books are inspiration between two covers. It can lead you to finding out what to do with your life, or just what to do next. It can remind you of the beauty in life, the beauty in the mundane, and the beauty of your very own imagination. 

You will never read a book and not take something away from it. Every book teaches you something, even if it's just to make a list of books to never read again. You'll get something from it. :)

I was reading a book as my friend Kayla walked into the room and she said "Oh man! If I would have known this was going to be a party, I would have brought my book!" haha. I love Kayla. Kayla good. :) This accurately describes my life. 

Other good and important reasons for reading books:
- It is said that readers are two and a half times LESS likely to get Alzheimer's. 
- You learn something new everyday.
- Reading is therapeutic and costs less than a therapist... depending on how many books you buy, that is. 
- Reading enhances memory - I think this is probably synonymous with #1 - but oh well. 
- Reading expands your vocabulary. Always good! 
- You live many lives. 


So there you have it. You're less likely to get Alzheimer's. You're more likely to succeed in careers and life. You can better empathize with people. You live many, many, many lives. Your imagination grows. Your shelves look pretty. You will be more literate. You won't need a therapist - unless you read the Divergent series, that is. You will have access to a never ending well of inspiration. and you'll make a better friend.


If I haven't inspired to you try reading yet, this post has failed me. haha! What do you have to lose?

Happy reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment